As the summer temperature rise, it's important to prioritize our furry friends health. Dogs are prone to heat-related illnesses, and it's crucial to find creative solutions to keep them active while ensuring their safety. In this blog we will explore some tips and fun activities to keep your pup active when is extremally hot outside.
Choose the Right Time For Exercise
During those hot summer days timing is everything when it comes to keeping your dog active. Early mornings and late evenings are generally cooler than any other time during the day. Avoid midday heat as it can be dangerous and may cause heatstroke or even a burn paw. Adjusting your routine and your pups to these cooler times of the day ensures your dog stays active and minimizes the risk of overheating.
Do Indoor Games & More
If it's sweltering outside, it's time to bring the fun indoors! Engage your dog with mentally-stimulating games to keep them active and entertained. These activities provide mental stimulation and exercise, allowing your dog to burn off energy without the need of an intense physical exertion. Some of these activities include:
- Hide treats inside the house in various places. To make it more entertaining you may use containers or puzzle games here are some offer by Chewy
- Learn scent work, this is something that every dog can do. Start with two boxes and then grow gradually.
- Improve on some skills, teach your old pup a new trick high five walk around you or simply stand in two legs!
- Teach your pup how to clean up his toys, this is not only an activity but also an investment in the long run for us
- Play a good old game of Tug of War
- Do some DOGA!
Sand, Sunglasses, and The Beach
Take your furry-friend out to the pool or beach for some water activities. Swimming is a low impact exercise that allows for your pup to stay cool. If you do not have access to a pool or beach consider investing in a sprinkler or a small kiddie pool in your backyard. Most dogs enjoy splashing in the water, providing them with a refreshing and enjoyable experience.
Do not let the hot weather stop you from keeping your dog active and happy. By implementing these tips and activities, you can ensure your furry friend stays engaged, mentally stimulated and physically active while avoiding the sun. By being proactive and creative, you can beat the heat while having a blast with your canine companion all summer long!